Panthers have been the subject of fascination for people of all ages, for several years. From Pink Panther to Black Panther, the term has been a regular part of our media, in films and in cartoons. However, there’re more to panthers than just a movie or the name of a football team.
Panthers aren’t actually just one kind of cat. Tigers, lions, jaguars, leopards, cougars, pumas, and snow leopards all come under the category of Panthera, or panther. They’re found in a number of different places across the globe, such as Africa, Asia, and parts of North and South America as well.
Here are some names for panthers that you can consider. If you’re adopting a panther at a conservation, you might be allowed to choose a name for the adoptee.
Having one of these as a pet may not be such a great idea though, so it’s better that you let them live where they—and you are the safest and most comfortable.
Famous Panther Names
As we’ve mentioned before, the mention of panthers has been scattered throughout history.
Perhaps, it’s the mystery behind these legendary cats, but people have been referring to panthers to put in band names, sports teams, and even as pseudonyms for individuals.
Here are some famous panther names, which include cats and tigers.
- The Pink Panther—this was a British comedy series that featured Peter Sellers
- Atari Panther—the name of an anticipated video game that was supposed to come out in 1990
- Circuit V. Panther—a guitarist from Japan
- Augsburger Panther—a DEL hockey team
- Penrith Panthers—an NRL rugby team
- Shere Khan—the tiger from The Jungle Book
- Tony the Tiger
- Tigger—from Winnie the Pooh
- Rajah—from Aladdin
- Hobbes—from Calvin and Hobbes
- Bagheera—the big black panther from The Jungle Book
- Bastet—a woman with a cat’s head in Egyptian legends. She’s the protector of felines
- Richard Parker—the famous tiger in Life of Pi
- Minnaloushe—a mysterious black cat from The Cat and the Moon
- Minerva McGonagall—a prominent character in Harry Potter, she has the ability to turn into a tabby cat
Black Panther Names in Movies
The blockbuster film that came out in 2018, this movie was all about the people of Wakanda, Africa, who dedicate their lives to protecting their home.
While it may have only been a movie for some, it actually had a strong underlying message of what it means to take away people’s homes and their autonomy to live freely.
Marvel Panther Names
Here are some characters from the Marvel movie, Black Panther.
- Black Panther himself, also known as T’Challa
- Erik Killmonger
- Dora Milaje
Cartoon Panther Names
There have been several panthers, such as cheetahs, cougars, tigers, and cats that have appeared in cartoons over the years. Sometimes they’re the bad guy and sometimes they’re the protagonist or a side character.
Here are some famous cartoon panthers whose names you’ll want to consider.
- Azaad—from the Lion Guard
- Officer Benjamin Clawhauser—from Zootopia
- Fuli—from The Lion Guard
- Spot Swat
- Sabor—from Tarzan
- Tai Lung—from Kung Fu Panda
- Princess Romy
- Yun Mibu
- El Cutisimo
- He Who Breathes Fire—a perfect name from Wild Kratts for a mysterious cat-like panther
- Blur—from Wild Kratts
- Lil’ Cubby
- Lippy the Lion
- Willy Fog
- Captain Yellow—from Dragon Ball
- Battle Cat—from Masters of the Universe
- Master Tigress
- Giant Realistic Flying Tiger—from Uncle Grandpa
- Queen Stealth
- Baby Blue
- Baby Puss—from The Flinstones
- Bonkers D. Bobat
- Galdo Gasper
- Pete Puma
- Pounce More
- Diego—the Saber-tooth from Ice Age
- Soto—from Ice Age
Female Panther Names
If you’ve got a black cat and you want to name her something that fully represents the color of her fur and her unique character, we have just the list for you.
Black cats are mysterious and royal, so go for a name that suits her personality. Here are some you should consider.
- Charco—derived from Charcoal
Good Panther Names
A good panther name is one that makes an impact and is hard to forget.
Still looking for more names? Your search doesn’t end here, because there are hundreds to choose from.
Here are some more that you should look through if you’re still confused about making a final decision.
- Black Rose
Steel Panther Names
Steel Panther is a rock band from California. They’re known for their rather controversial but funny lyrics in their music and for their outrageous performance on stage.
For those of you who are avid fans of the band and their music, you might want to consider these names if you want to name your panther after the band’s members.
- Lexxi Foxx—on the bass
- Russ Parrish—guitar
- Michael Starr
- Stix Zadinia—drums
- Ray Luzier
Cool Panther Names
You’re probably looking for a cool name for your panther because a normal name is just too mainstream. Here are some more that you should browse through before making a final decision.
- Schrodinger—from the famous experiment
Famous Black Panther Names
There isn’t only one black panther, because numerous other black panthers have come up time and again in different comics.
If you’re looking for one that people may not have heard of recently, here are a few old black panther names.
Disney Panther Names
Who isn’t a huge fan of Disney?
There are big, wild cats in numerous Disney movies and many of them have a special place in every Disney fan’s heart.
If you want to name your big cat after a character in Disney, we’ve compiled a list for you.
They’re not all black panthers, but they’re all names belonging to cats.
- The Lynx
- Angel Kitty
- Maggie the Cat
- Maw Pete
- Douglas Benson
- Kat Nipp
- Cheshire Cat
- Thomas O’Malley
- Sasha Sidesplitter
- Sheriff Callie
- Wildcat McGraw
- Persian Pete
- Mr. Pettibone
- Thackery Binx
- Mirage—from Aladdin
Exotic Panther Names
There’s always a chance that the name you choose ends up already being taken by someone else that you know.
If you’re looking for a name that nobody else would have come across, go through the list below.
Most of these names are taken from another language, so it would be smart to get a grasp on the correct way they should be pronounced if you choose one of them.
- Arun—which means sun in Burmese
- Demetria—Greek name for goddess of harvest
- Ekaterina—pure in Russian
- Hans—gift from God
- Oro—gold in Spanish
- Zaki—which means lion in West African
- Goya—which means wild cat in South African
- Svetlana—star in Russian
- Thalia—Greek word for blooming
- Karima—normal in Arabic
- Ruwa—beauty in Arabic
- Suki—beloved in Japanese
- Mukhtar—which means chosen in Arabic
- Chantrea—moon in Cambodian
White Panther Names
If you’re looking for names that especially refer to a white panther, consider the following names for white cats.
While white cats have a lot more options for names than black cats, people often end up naming them names like “snowflake”, which often becomes redundant when so many people’s white cats have the same name.
If you’re looking for something along the same lines, but not as obvious, look through these names.
- Blanco—which means white in Spanish
- Zima—which means winter in Russian
- Flocon—which means snowflake in Russian
- Biano—which means white in Italian
- Kimba the White Lion—from Kimba the White Lion
- White Tiger—from The Justice Friends
Final Words: Panther Names
Panthers are mysterious, awe-inspiring and majestic creatures. These big cats are a combination of strength and prowess and you’d be fascinated if you ever came across one at a zoo or conservation.
Hopefully, the names on this list make it easier for you to find the perfect name for a panther. All of the names are tailor-made for felines, regardless of their size or color.
If you’re planning on adopting a local or foreign wild cat, or one in a conservation, these names will help you find the one you want to pick for your adoptee.