You may not see an axolotl very commonly and it’s not a very popular choice for pets either. However, it’s a great option for those who love to keep exotic pets. Also known as the Mexican ‘walking fish’, the axolotl is not really fish but it’s a kind of an amphibian. W
Axolotls are a type of salamander. However, unlike other salamanders, they do not undergo metamorphosis routinely and remain aquatic for as long as they live. These unique amphibians are found in a variety of colors including black, golden, white, gray, pink and more.
Although they are not as common as large lizards or snakes, they have a growing fan club in the exotic pet community. They prove to be hardy pets that are fairly easy to care for but axolotls do need to stay in a tank filled with water while being kept in captivity.
If you’re fond of keeping exotic pets, petting an axolotl can be a great way to start. Here are a few things you should keep in mind, though.
- Axolotls can grow quite large for a typical salamander, so you would need a 15 to 20 gallon fish tank to house them.
- Axolotls are cool water amphibians so the tank should be maintained at a temperature of 57 to 68 degrees Fahrenheit (14 to 20 degrees Celsius). The temperature should never go above 75 °F (24 °C).
- You can coat the bottom of the fish tank with regular aquarium sand, and make sure that your tank contains aquatic plants, natural rocks, and plenty of places for the axolotl to hide.
- You won’t require any special lighting for the tank (unlike reptiles). In fact, your axolotl will appreciate a dark hiding spot such as a flower pot laid on one side of the aquarium.
- Axolotls produce more waste than fish or other small reptiles, so you will need to change the tank filter frequently to keep the water clear.
- Axolotls are not too social and wouldn’t really benefit from having a companion. In fact, baby axolotls can display cannibalistic behaviors so it’s best to keep them in separate tanks if you own more than one of them.
- Axolotls are carnivores. The best food choices for them include baitworms, bloodworm cubes, frozen shrimp, etc. You can treat your axolotls with a ball of raw hamburger meat.
- Axolotls may not be legal to own in certain states so be sure to check with your State’s agency before you get one.
If you have decided to make this wonderful little amphibian your companion or have already got one, you must be wondering what to call your new family member. If you are in search of some great names for your axolotl, you’ve come to the right place!
Keep reading to find out the best names for axolotls.
Cute Axolotl Names
Axolotls are really adorable creatures and their smiles are the cutest. Here are some cute name suggestions for your pet axolotl.
Bubbles – Goes perfectly with their water-loving nature
Slimothy – Because axolotls have a cute slimy tail
Axie – A cute shorter version for axolotl
Pebbles – Your will always find your axolotl hiding behind rocks and pebbles
Smiley / Mr. Smiley Face – Because they have the cutest nature-made smile
Aristotle – A punny take on the great philosopher’s name
Aquaman – What’s a better name for someone that loves to be in the water all the time?
Squishy – Axolotls have soft squishy bodies
Ziggy – This one is based on their zigzag movements in the water
Mutkip – This is the name of the axolotl based Pokemon character
Mr. Little Foot – Have you seen those adorable, tiny feet?
Professor Head Booper – This one is for the axolotls that love bopping their heads on the aquarium.
Here are some more options for cute axolotl names.
Good Axolotl Names
Still couldn’t find the perfect name for your axolotl? Here are some more ideas.
- Billy Bob
- Gulb girl
Funny Axolotl Names
If you want to add an element of fun and laughter to your axolotl’s name, have a look at these ideas.
Harry Water – Get it? Like Harry Potter? For all those Harry Potter fans out there.
Slim Shady – Axolotls are slim and skinny just like how Eminem was when he wrote this popular rap.
James Pond – Are you a James Bond lover? This one is for you!
Ariel – The name of the famous Little Mermaid
Mr. Flipper – This one is dedicated to those playful flips and moves that your axolotl entertains you with.
Here are some more suggestions for funny axolotl names.
- John Snow
Cool Axolotl Names
Here are some more cool name ideas for your axolotl.
- Pete the Dragon
- Mr. Nibbles
Best Axolotl Names
We have some more great name suggestions in stock. Have a look at the best axolotl names.
- Holy Sock
- Cat Jack
- Coco Chanel
Leucistic Axolotl Names
Leucistic axolotls feature pale yellow bodies, bright pink gills, and black eyes. Sometimes the bodies are creamy white instead of yellow. If you have a leucistic axolotl, here are some nice name ideas for them.
- Banana Split
- Honey Gold
Male Axolotl Names
Looking for the best names for your male axolotl? Have a look at this list.
- Mr. Evil
Female Axolotl Names
Just so your female axolotls don’t feel left out, we have compiled a list for them too!
- Sally Mander
Gender Neutral Axolotl Names
Don’t want to go for girlish or boyish names for your axolotl? Here’s a list of some exciting names that are gender-neutral.
Pink Axolotl Names
Looking names for your pink axolotl? Here are some cute suggestions.
- Pink Sniper
To Sum Up: Pet Axolotl Names
Axolotls are one of the best options if you look want to keep an exotic pet. They are no-fuss creatures that will delight you with their smiling face. We hope that you enjoyed going through this collection of the best axolotl names. Let us know which one did you choose for your new buddy.