Shrimps are creatures who have five pairs of walking limbs called decapods, with elongated bodies and live in water. Hence, they have a swimming mode of locomotion. Shrimps as pets are getting popular these days. People are keeping these colorful creatures in their aquariums.
If you are also planning to get a pet shrimp and finding a nice name for a pet shrimp, you’ve come to the right place.
We can take cues from a few famous Shrimp names, which are named after their characteristics are Darth Bait-er, Harry Water, Loch Ness Monster, etc. There are a lot of Shrimp names to choose from, which is discussed in the following article.
Common Shrimp Names
There are a lot of names that may be common to a lot of creatures and animals. A few familiar cues for Shrimp names are as follows.
- Abigail – Gives Joy
- Adira – Strong
- Adkin – It is made of timber from the oak tree.
- Bairrfhoinn – Handsome
- Barnett – Leader
- Benkamin – Ploughman
- Bennie – Abbreviation for Benjamin and Benedict
- Berg – Mountain
- Chenoa – Dove
- Cianna – God is gracious.
- Dalon – Variant of Dallin blind.
- Dedre – Sorrowful
- Dedrik – People’s ruler
- Delano – From the elder tree grove.
- Diedre – A character in a popular Celtic legend
- Durwin – Dear friend
- Eadgyth – Wife of Edward the Confessor
- Edrys – Wealthy ruler
- Effie -In greek it means well-spoken.
- Eja – Pronounced Asia.
- Elga – Elf’s spear
- Elgine – Noble, white.
- Eliott – Believes in God
- Eloy – A famous French saint
- Evelin – Form of Evelyn. Life.
- Evoy – Blond
- Fantina – Childlike
- Farley – From the bull’s pasture
- Freddi – Peaceful ruler.
- Gail – Rooster
- Galeno – Small intelligent one
- Glynn – From the valley.
- Hadara – Spectacular ornament. Adorned with beauty
- Hadwin – War friend
- Hombre – Man
- Iakovos – Supplanter
- Iris – Plant with colorful flowers.
- Jafet – Beauty
- Jamilee – Pretty
- Jeannine – Diminutive form of Jane or Jeanne.
- Kaelen – Strong fighter
- Laurana – Symbol of victory.
- Lavernia – Born in the spring
- Lufti – Kind
- Magnus – Great One.
- Marelda – Famous battle maiden
- Milman – Mill worker
- Mitchell – Gift from God
- Misty – Indistinct or dim in outline.
- Nareena – Contented.
- Nathanael – Gift from God
- Odelyna – Little wealthy one
- Ohitekah – Brave
- Oihane – From the forest
- Oma – The color of olive
- Parsifal – Hero of several Arthurian stories
- Pax – From the peaceful farm
- Peterson – rock.
- Quin – Wise
- Qssim – Divides
- Reggie – Powerful ruler
- Rillie – Brook
- Rosemarie – Bitter
- Ryleigh – Island meadow.
- Saebeorht – Glory at sea
- Salim – Peace
- Sterling – Currency
- Sukriti – Good creation
- Tahbert – Brilliant
- Talia – Dew of heaven
- Tavin – A nickname for Gustav royal staff.
- Tawnya – A greenfield
- Teague – Poet: Handsome.
- Udayle – From the yew tree valley
- Urania – heavenly or of heaven
- Wakeley – From Wake’s meadow
- Wahkan – Sacred
- Witton – From the wise man’s estate
- Xarles – Manly
- Yetta – Generous
- Yarkona – Green
- Yaffa – Beautiful
- Zahid – Altruistic
- Zohra – Alternate Spelling: Zoya.
Funny Shrimp Names
A little humor added in the names can make the character of the creature pop out. This being stated, there are a few funny names that one might use to name their Shrimps, because a little humor does not harm, does it?
- Crusty Sean
- Lil Peene
- Cocktail sauce
- Aqua Bob SquarePants
- Teetle Tatter
- Pickle Pants
- Fluff stick
- Twinkle tail
- Elvis swimmy
Famous Shrimp Names
Cues from popular names could be a great bet to name the Shrimps, and it sure would give a trendy touch to the usual simple Shrimps swimming around in the water. A few suggested names for Shrimps could be.
Darth Bait-er – This can be a cult fan choice. Your Shrimp brings out your evil alter ego? It can be a choice to make people giggle and think their brains out.
Harry Water – Like Harry Potter! Getting punny based on a few existing popular characters is a nice trick to jazz up a regular Shrimp.
Loch Ness Monster
Megan Mackerel – A little twist with the Duchess of Sussex’s name could give your Shrimp a royal title.
Michael Phelps – Your Shrimp is not any ordinary Shrimp. It is an Olympic gold medalist, who is also a famous swimmer!
OdysSea – Taking inspiration from Odyssey by Homer, and using a little pun. The name makes your Shrimp quite extraordinary.
Pacifisht – The word ‘Pacific’ with a touch of a little pun and how cute is this one!
Prince Whale-am: Yet another Royal name with another aquatic pun for the Royal creature
Sea-line Dion – If you think your Shrimp has wildly good vocals, this is a name to choose from, taken inspiration from Celine Dion.
Solemate – Taken a cue from Soulmate, more than often, we can relate to our pets like they are our soulmates. Naming the Shrimp with this name could be a way to establish a connection with the cute little creature.
The Great ShratSea – A little twist with the Great Gatsby, and you have yet another punny name for the Shrimp.
Cute Shrimp Names
Don’t we like names that make us go “AWW” struck? We sure do. Here are a few cues on cute names, that one could use for their Shrimps.
Cartoon Shrimp Names
There are two names of cartoon characters of Shrimps from which we can take cues from-
Da Shrimp – Da Shrimp is an antagonist from The Little Mermaid television series.
Jacques – Jacques is a Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis). It is the most popular Shrimp in the saltwater aquarium hobby. We could always call the Shrimp Jacques.
Ghost Shrimp Names
Ghost shrimps are dwarf freshwater shrimp, who is a native of Southern United States. There are three different kinds of ghost shrimps (crustaceans):
- Thalassinidea, which live in deep burrows in the intertidal zone
- Caprellidae, amphipods with slender bodies more commonly known as “skeleton shrimps.”
- Feeder shrimp (glass shrimp) Palaemonetes, small mostly transparent Shrimp widely sold for use in freshwater aquaria
Taking cues from the following, a few suggested names of ghost shrimps to spook a few people are,
- King Hamlet: A famous ghost who makes an appearance in Shakespeare’s Hamlet.
- Casper: The friendly ghost, who lives with you, in the water.
- Slimer: A green ghost who spews slime. The name can be perfect for the Shrimp.
- Bloody Mary
Having stated these names, one could have an overall idea with the cues provided in this article. Go ahead, name your Shrimp with a name that sets it apart from other Shrimps. The Shrimp would like the name, for sure!