Dragonflies have been living on our planet for more than 300 million years, making them one of the oldest insect species in the world. These magnificent insects have always been a matter of fascination to biologists across the world.
Apart from the scientific community, dragonflies have been of interest to literariness, and they had remained an integral part of literature in different cultures. Owing to which, there are people out there who would want to keep dragonflies as pets.
Dragonflies do not make good pets, and It is not easy to take care of them. But yet some people are willing to take all the effort to collect nymphs from waterbodies and to nurture them.
Irrespective of whether you own a dog, a cat, a bird, or an insect, from the moment you bring them home, they are a part of your family. The first thing to do for a pet is to find him/her a good name.
We understand that finding a name for a dragonfly isn’t a walk in the park. This is why we have decided to do some legwork and find some cute and funny names for your dragonfly. In this article, we have compiled a list of 131 cute and funny pet dragonfly names.
Let’s get going.
10 Funny dragonfly names
In this section, we have compiled a list of 10 funny names for your dragonflies. The names have been inspired by mythology, movies, and many other places. Here goes the list!
1. Pacifier: Dragonflies have always been an integral part of many myths. One among such myths is that dragonflies cut the ears of children who lie. This is quite a rude statement to be made about a dragonfly, but it does help a parent make children behave properly.
2. Birdy: Yeah, quite an odd name for an insect, right? But that is the whole point when it comes to giving them funny names, right?
3. Evinrude: Evinrude is a famous dragonfly character from the animated movie series “The rescuers”. In the movie, Evinrude is portrayed as the one who helps the protagonists to hide from the villain.
4. Long ass butterfly: This is a very common name for a dragonfly in the United States. I guess you won’t need any explanation on why this name?
5. Vision: Not the vision in the Avengers movie series! Dragonflies with their pair of compound eyes with thousands on lens and 3 eyes with simple lenses have excellent vision. They are even found to see UV and polarized light.
6. Chopper: If you didn’t know, helicopters were designed after the flawless design and maneuverability of a dragonfly. Don’t you think chopper would be a nice name for your dragonfly?
7. Qingting: Qingting is the Chinese for a dragonfly. Dragonflies are considered to be a symbol of prosperity, harmony, and as a good luck charm.
8. Snapdragon: The leading electronic chip manufacturer in the world. Similar to their products, dragonflies are fast. Dragonflies are found to be so fast that within the short span of their life, they cross oceans.
9. Hollenross: Hollenross translates to goddess’ horse in German. In the European folklore, dragonflies were portrayed as the symbol of good.
10. Skams: Skams Besman is another name for a dragonfly in Swedish mythology, which translates to devil’s steelyard in English. According to Swedish mythology, dragonflies were used by the devil to weigh the soul of people.
10 Pet dragonfly names
Not everyone would want to keep dragonflies as pets, and among them, only a very few would have the patience to keep one as a pet. Now that you have decided to get one, you need to give a unique name to your pet dragonfly right? Don’t worry; we have you covered.
In this section, we have compiled a list of 10 pet dragonfly names for you.
1. Floaty: If you were to bring a dragonfly home, you would obviously have to do that whey are nymphs. These nymphs survive in water and hence the name floaty. It is also interesting to note that, for the most part of a dragonfly’s life, it remains a nymph.
2. Flappy: A dragonfly flaps its wings at a rate of 1800 times per minute. That’s about 30 times in a second. Don’t you thing flappy could be a nice name for your pet dragonfly?
3. Flutura: Flutura is an Albanian word that translated to Butterfly in English. Don’t worry about naming your dragonfly a butterfly. They are your pets, and it’s up to you to choose a name for them. It’s not like the dragonflies are going to have an issue.
4. Mr. Flight: Dragonflies are known for their excellent flying capabilities. These little insects are found to cross oceans during their short lifespan. Also, if you have noticed a dragonfly while it is resting, you can see that the way they keep their wings reminds us of an airplane. Hence the name Me. Flight
5. Flash: Could there be a better name for an insect that can fly at around 60Kmph? Of course, the speed varies with the different species, but they all are still fast.
6. Garud: Garud is a character in the Hindu & Buddhist Mythology. As per the mythology, Garud is a legendary bird or bird-like creature which is portrayed as the vehicle mount of god Vishnu.
7. Falcon: Falcons are birds that are known for their extreme hunting skills and for being a dominant predator. In many literary works, falcons are portrayed as symbols of bravery! Don’t you think falcon can be the perfect pet name for your dragonfly?
8. Demeter: Demeter is a winged serpent goddess, as portrayed in Greek mythology. Dragonflies are winged insects that look like Demeter; don’t you think Demeter can be a nice name for your dragonfly?
9. Akitu: Akitu is the Japanese for a dragonfly. According to Japanese mythology, dragonflies are portrayed as symbols of courage, strength, and happiness. If you are an art lover, you can name your dragonfly Akitu because dragonflies are an integral part of many Japanese arts.
10. Autumn: In some parts of the world, Dragonflies are associated with autumn and hence the name autumn for your dragonfly.
25 Cute dragonfly names
I personally find dragonflies to be extremely cute because of their large eyes, vibrant colors, and transparent wings. If you are with me, here goes the list of 25 cute names for your dragonfly.
25 Cool names for dragonfly
Dragonflies are the oldest insects on our planet. These flying insects have been a part of our planet for almost 300 million years. The only change that has happened to them is that they have become smaller.
The reason for surviving for such a long time lies in their reproductive cycle. This makes me feel that dragonflies are probably the coolest insects on the planet.
Here goes the list of 25 cool names for your dragonfly.
21 Pretty dragonfly names
It is quite obvious that you would want a pretty name for your dragonfly. In this section, we have compiled a list of 21 pretty dragonfly names for you.
- Pretty bee
- Sugar Pulp
20 Good dragonfly names
Not just the dragonfly, any pet that you bring home deserves the best of everything because pets are family. In this section, we have compiled a list of 20 good dragonfly names for you.
- Miss Crazy
- Flying Monk
20 Baby dragonfly names
There’s nothing called a baby dragonfly because once a nymph transforms into a dragonfly it becomes an adult. But yeah, you can see them as babies!
In this section, we have compiled a list of 20 baby dragonfly names.
- Sweet Pie
I hope you liked all these cute and hilarious dragonfly names for your pet dragonfly. Please let us know in the comment section, which name you liked the most.