What do you call a bird that is a smartass?
A know it owl!
Owls are broody and furtive fliers. Looking into their eyes feels like they are peering into your soul. They are silent but not deadly. They are hard to train because they are not a creature of habit. They have high intelligence, but they can’t be controlled easily.
If you have finally got yourself a pet owl, then it’s time to give it an identity. To find the perfect name, ask yourself the most essential questions.
Is your pet owl a male or a female?
You can figure this out by weighing your pet owl. A female owl usually weighs more than the male owl. However, sometimes, this might not be true. A sure way to know your pet owl’s gender is through their feather color. A female owl has a colored streak extending from its neck, whereas a male owl has no colored streak.
Does it do any tricks that you adore?
Perhaps, your owl always makes a sarcastic face.
Based on the personality of your owl and its gender, you can choose a name.
Here is a list of different names that will help you name your pet owl according to its personality.
- 12 Funny Pet Owl Names
- 5 Cute Pet Owl Names
- 5 Cool Owl Names
- 8 Famous Owl Names
- 5 Snowy Owl Names
- 3 Clever Owl Names
- 4 Classic Owl Names
- 5 Pet Owl Names Inspired from Movies and Animations
- 30 Pet Owl Names for Males (Boy Owl)
- 30 Pet Owl Names for Females (Girl Owl)
- 10 Superhero Pet Owl Names
- Conclusion: Cute and Funny Pet Owl Names
12 Funny Pet Owl Names
Check out these funny owl names for your beloved pet owl.
- Owl Capone: Get it? A play on the famous name Al-Capone! Since owls have this serious vibe, we believe that the more they contemplate in silence, the more they are primed to take over the world.
- Blinky: Have you ever seen an owl blink? Never, right? It’s eerily unnerving. You could probably play a game of “Who Blinks First” with them.
- Whoo-Dini: The magic owl character that we have all come to love could be a great name for your pet. Who knows, you might turn your back and your owl might just disappear! This name is inspired by an owl’s creepy nature — “Whoo” is the sound that owls make and “Dini” is the name of an old magician.
- Whoolio: Can you believe this is an actual person’s name? Well, the good news is that you can use it for your pet owl because it will describe him perfectly!
- Duke Owlington: Owls are so regal and sometimes, it feels like their ego is bigger than their little body. A snobbish owl definitely deserves a name like this!
- Owlivia Wild: Don’t you think that Owlivia Wild would be a naughty owl that Duke Owlington would be mad about? Sounds like a match made in heaven!
- Weebles: Owls have such tiny feet, so it makes sense to call them Weebles, right? We think so! This name is definitely a mix of funny and cute.
- Nimrod: Funny thing is that the word “nimrod” means a skillful hunter, which an owl definitely is, and an inept person. The latter is sort of true because doesn’t your owl just stand in its cage all day?
- Winky: Here’s a weird and funny fact — owls have three eyelids. One is used for blinking, one for seeing and one for keeping their eyes clean. Cue in your gasp! It’s truly fascinating, right? They definitely deserve the name Winky.
- Dr. Whoo: This one cracks us up every time we say it. It’s insanely apt for a pet owl because of the noise they make.
- Owlbert Einstein: If an owl could talk, then the first words to come out of its beak would be to tell you all the dumb things you have done, while he watched, perched on his ledge. Didn’t we say that owls are intelligent? So naming your pet owl Owlbert Einstein is right on the mark!
- Agent Owl-Anof: Somehow, an owl doing some pretty kickass tricks wouldn’t surprise you, are we right? Your pet owl probably does some snooping of its own when you are away. So, better keep an eye on it. You never know she might pull the Whoo-Dini act.
Need more funny owl names?
Cream Owl: because it goes moo…moo…moo… and also looks like it’s wearing cream.
Horace Owl: As in “big yellow head”, a reference to the character in one of the US Animaniacs cartoons.
He has an even bigger brother named Felix which I have seen used for a dog but is also applicable for an owl if there’s any trouble finding out what Horace looks like.
5 Cute Pet Owl Names
It’s hard to call an owl cute with that serious face they have, but if you adore your owl despite its brooding nature, here are some cute and cuddly names that your pet may love:
- Snowy: If your pet owl’s fur is white and it looks like a snowflake, then there you have it.
- Snowflake: Just because that white face and feathers are just too hard to resist!
- Buttons: Those eyes… one could drown in them.
- Caramel: If it’s a she and has a shiny collar, then it’s definitely caramel.
- Dixie: Is she small? Can’t stop yourself from holding her? Then Dixie is the perfect name for her!
5 Cool Owl Names
If your owl could talk, then sarcasm would come pouring out in droves.
Here are some cool owl names that you will totally agree with:
8 Famous Owl Names
Here are some names that are spot-on for your pet owl:
- Chandler from the TV show Friends
- Dexter from the TV show Dexter
- Sia, The Australian Singer of Chandelier
- Robert from Twilight
- Hannibal from the TV show Hannibal
- Harry Potter
- Luna Lovegood
5 Snowy Owl Names
If you have the pleasure of owning a pure white owl, then you are probably looking for pet names that reflect its shiny coat.
Here are some suggestions:
3 Clever Owl Names
Browse these clever owl names to find the perfect name for your new feathered friend.
- Ugly Ook
4 Classic Owl Names
Looking for a classic name? Check out this list of classic owl names:
- Lulu Bell
5 Pet Owl Names Inspired from Movies and Animations
If you are a movie nerd, then these 5 owl names will be perfect for your pet.
- Hedwig: Who wouldn’t want to name their pet owl Hedwig! It’s short, regal and majestic… like the Hedwig from Harry Porter. If you have a snowy white owl that shows signs of intelligence, then we suggest giving him this legendary name.
- Archimedes: Who can forget the wise owl from The Sword in the Stone?! He was introduced as a highly educated owl that taught a boy how to become the rightful king. A little mean and with a perpetual frown on his feathery face, this owl won the hearts of some people, while it made others mad.
- Dexter: The wise owl’s cousin from Winnie the Pooh is a great name to give to your pet owl if you feel that he’s your voice of reason, even though you find his silence questionable. Following in his cousin’s footstep, Dexter is sometimes serious but likes to play too. Is this a name that matches your pet owl?
- Ibid: We all fell in love with Ibid in Hercules not because he gave its holder the knowledge of power but because of those wide adorable eyes. The name is short and cute and perfect for your pet owl if he likes to turn his head to the side and looks at you beseechingly.
- Deacon: If your owl looks good in a bow tie, then we suggest naming him Deacon. This name was coined for the owl of Swamp Folks from The Rescuers. If you like dressing up your pet owl, then this name is perfect for him.
30 Pet Owl Names for Males (Boy Owl)
Don’t know what name to give to your male owl? Here are some super cool, unique male owl names:
30 Pet Owl Names for Females (Girl Owl)
Female owls are heavier, are more aggressive than their male counterparts, and have a higher pitch. If you have a female pet owl, here are some names for them:
10 Superhero Pet Owl Names
If you love superheroes and want to name your pet after one, here are some suggestions:
- Batman: Because they are stealthy and creatures of the night
- Daredevil: Because they are not afraid of darkness
- Wonder Woman: They face danger head-on
- MODOK: Their intelligence knows no bounds
- Phantom: Because owls love dark places
- Blue Ear: Because owls have super-sonic hearing
- Spidey: They catch their prey with their talons!
- Vision: Because they are farsighted
- Supergirl: Superman is so outdated, so why not embrace the change
- Nightwing: Stealth and night power are two traits that owls mostly display
Conclusion: Cute and Funny Pet Owl Names
It’s difficult to choose a pet name, right? Once your pet owl becomes accustomed to the name you use to call it, you won’t be able to change it. So, make sure that you choose a name that you love and match your pet owl’s personality.