Did you know that there are as many as 5,000 different species of ladybugs in the world? Although named as ‘ladybugs’, these insects do not fall into the classification of true bugs. Perhaps that is why most of the Entomologists prefer to call them ‘ladybird beetles’ or ‘lady beetles’ instead of ‘ladybugs’.
Although ladybugs have a wide variety of colors and patterns on them, the one most of us are familiar with is the classic, seven-spotted ladybug, with its vibrant red body covered with black spots. This specific variety has originated from Europe. These insects have a dome-like body to which six little legs are attached.
Small in size and attractive in color, these little creatures are harmless to human begins. In fact, in many cultures, ladybugs are also believed to be the harbinger for good luck.
Have you spotted ladybugs in your garden and want to give them distinct names? You’re just in the right place. We have more than 200 name suggestions for your little friends.
- Cute Ladybug Names
- Funny ladybug names
- Famous ladybug names
- Pet ladybug names
- Girl ladybug names
- Boy ladybug names
- Good ladybug names
- Miraculous ladybug names (TV Show)
- Did you know these facts about ladybugs?
Cute Ladybug Names
‘Cute’ is an adjective that suits quite well on ladybugs. If you’re thinking of ladybug names, why not go for something cute that defines them?
- Heidi – a Germanic name derived from ‘Adelheid’, which means ‘of noble birth’
- Lady cow – a British term for ‘ladybug’
- Kumbang – a term for ‘beetle’ used in Indonesia and Malaysia
- Marieta – a Catalan term that translates to ‘ladybug’
- Gandac – a Romanian word for ‘beetle’
Funny ladybug names
A funny ladybug name can be a hilarious subject of conversation between your friends and family. Check out these funny ladybug names you can settle on.
- Ladycow – another name for ‘ladybug’
- Cha Cha
- Dee Dee
Famous ladybug names
Ladybugs are quite popular insects around the globe. They have been named differently in countless different languages and cultures. Do you wish to use these classic names for ladybugs? Check them out:
- Vika – a Finnish word for ‘bug’
- Felix – a Latin word that translates to ‘lucky’ or ‘happy’
- Dolce – colorful
- Keera – a Nepali term for ‘beetle’
- Goobre Poka – a Bengali word for ‘ladybug’
- Eloisa – vibrant
- Dame – a Dutch term that means ‘lady’
- Coccinelli – a Latin term for ‘ladybug’
- Kismet – an Arabic word that means ‘luck’ or ‘destiny’
- Kever – a Dutch term for ‘bug’
- Praga – a Galician term for ‘pest’
- Mariquita – a Spanish word that means ‘ladybug’
- Wadudu – a word in Swahili which means ‘pest’
- Skarabo – a term that translates to ‘beetle’ in Esperanto
- Keet – a Hindi word that means ‘pest’
- San Antonios – an Uruguay term for ‘ladybug’
- Zortea – a term in Basque that means ‘lucky’
- Senora – a Galician term for ‘lady’
- Fehler – a German word for ‘bug’
- Brumbull – an Albanian term for ‘beetle’
Pet ladybug names
Keeping cute little creatures like ladybugs as pets is highly unheard of. However, if you consider the ones you have found as your pets and want to name them, go ahead and take your pick from the following names:
- Ebe – an Igbo term for ‘beetle’
- Praying Mantis
- Buba – a Bosnian term for ‘bug’
- Besie – an Afrikaan term for ‘beetle’
- Yellow Jacket
- Daddy Longlegs
- Bille – a term for ‘beetle’ in Danish and Norwegian
- Kapontje – a Dutch term for ‘ladybug’
- Cleopatra – the famous Egyptian queen
Girl ladybug names
Is your ladybug a girl? While it’s difficult to tell, here are some of the girl ladybug names you can use.
- Dona – a Chichewa word for ‘lady’
Boy ladybug names
If you want to find a suitable boy ladybug name, you can browse through our list given below:
- Brouk – a Czech term for ‘beetle’
- Guld-ko – a Swedish term for ‘ladybug’
- Guld-hona – another Swedish term for ‘ladybug’
- Galineta – an Occitan term for ‘ladybug’
Good ladybug names
Have you still not found the name you were looking for? Here are more suggestions for good ladybug names for you.
- Vermello – a Galician term that means ‘red’
- Dath – an Irish term that means ‘color’
- Uger Bocegi – a Turkish word for ‘ladybug’
- Vistoso – a Spanish term that means ‘colorful’
- Rang – a Hindi word that means ‘color’
- Piros – a Hungarian term that signifies the color red
- Suerte – a Spanish word that means ‘lucky’
Miraculous ladybug names (TV Show)
Most of you ladybug-lovers must already know about ‘Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir’. However, if you don’t, we will tell you all you need to know about it. The Miraculous is an animated web series that focuses on the life of Marinette Dupain-Cheng, a teenager who aspires to be a fashion designer.
However, an extraordinary secret of this seemingly ordinary girl’s life is that she is also a superhero named ‘Ladybug’ who solves crimes.
The show has many incredible name ideas you can use for your ladybug. We have listed a few of them below:
- Marinette – the central character of the show
- Cat Noir – Marinette’s classmate on whom she is crushing
- Alya Cesaire – Marinette’s best friend
- Tikki – the kwami of creation
- Nino Lahiffe – Adrien’s (Cat Noir) best friend
- Plagg – the kwami of destruction
- Andre Bourgeois – the mayor of Paris and the owner of the Le Grand Paris
- Chloe Bourgeois – the daughter of the mayor
- Sabrina Raincomprix – Chloe’s assistant and her only friend
- Le Chein Kim – a boy who has a crush on Chloe
- Hawk Moth – Gabriel Agreste, the antagonist of the show
- Max Kante – an intelligent boy; a good friend of Kim
- Mylene Harpele
- Master Fu
- Rose Lavillant
- Juleka Couffaine
- Roger Raincomprix
- Ms. Mendeleieve
- Stormy Weather
- Alec Cataldi
- Mr. Damocles
- Caline Bustier
- Mirelle Caquet
- Tom Dupain
- Alix Kubdel
- Sabine Cheng
- Nadja Chamack
- Nathaniel Kurtzberg
- Ivan Bruel
Did you know these facts about ladybugs?
The ‘lady’ in ladybugs
Are all ladybugs females? If not, why are they named ‘ladybugs’? There’s an interesting story behind it.
In the Middle Ages, all the European farmers were in agony since a swarm of aphids was destroying all the crops they had worked hard on.
The helpless farmers prayed to the Virgin Mary to help them. The ladybugs arrived as an answering boon, destroying all the aphids and saving their crops. The ‘lady’ in their name is, thus, derived from the Virgin Mary.
Why are ladybugs colorful?
The factor that sets ladybugs apart from the other bland or ugly looking insects is their attractive color. But have you ever wondered why it is so?
It might sound surprising, but what looks attractive to us seems terrible to the other animals.
The predatory animals mostly avoid eating brightly colored insects because they believe them to taste awful. Their attractiveness apparently saves their lives.
How much can a little ladybug eat?
How much do you think? We’re sure you couldn’t have imagined this, but these little creatures can eat about 5,000 insects in their lifetime. It means that they can eat 75 to 100 mites a day!
Ladybug lays snacks!
When a ladybug lays eggs, not all of them contain an embryo. Some of them are more like dummy eggs. But what is their use? The newly-hatched baby ladybugs eat these eggs as a snack.
Winters are for mating and sleeping
As winter approaches, ladybugs return to their ancestral home in clusters. There, they mate and then go into hibernation to survive the biting cold.
Whether you are looking for funny ladybug names or the names of ladybugs that are popular around the world, you will find a suitable one in this article.