No matter how intimidating they might appear at first glance, leopard geckos are endearing little fellows. Let’s face it—they make amazing pets, are mostly quiet, not too large to handle, clean, and extremely fascinating to observe. Whether you are planning to get one for yourself or have already become a reptile-owner, you might be daunted thinking about what to call your pet. But, let us forewarn you; fortunately, coming up with names for your Leo will be one of the most fun things to do.
Since these reptiles have a lifespan of up to 20 years and would stay with you for a long time to come, it’s a good idea to pick a name that matches their distinct persona. As enjoyable as naming your leopard gecko is, it’s also a huge responsibility considering that the name you choose will resonate with your pet all its life.
Although it is an inspiring endeavor as the web is jam-packed with options, you need to keep in mind that your lizard is downright dissimilar to other “conventional” pets like cats and dogs, whom we can conveniently call “Fuzzy,” “Paws,” or “Fluffy,” and it simply wouldn’t suit a reptile—for obvious reasons.
But fret not, we are here to help you with some of the most interesting, cool, badass, and delightful names for your leopard gecko. So, scroll through our wide-ranging list and unearth over 200 cute and funny leopard gecko names that will help you find the perfect one for your buddy!
Cute Leopard Gecko Names
Even though your leopard gecko might not be as cuddlesome, there’s no denying the fact that these lizards are quite cute, and they are entitled to a name that meets their charm. If you want to call your new friend by a pleasant name, we have listed a few sweet options for you.
- Scampers – A great way to address your leopard gecko as it sprints hurriedly.
- Apricot – A cute fruit name for your pet.
- Gucci – Name your lizard with a dash of finesse.
- Peanut – For your teeny-tiny reptile.
- Scaly – Cutely pick a literal name for your scaly pal.
- Psycho – A name with a little heads up that best describes your fiery friend!
- Trixie – Pick this name that translates into “bringer of joy.”
- Flick – A moniker for a lively and energetic pet.
- Oreo – Named after the popular white and black cookie.
- Ruby – A nice name for your precious gem.
- Honey – Implies that your leopard gecko is an absolute sweetheart.
- Bumpy – Name your pet leopard gecko after its skin texture.
- Snickers – A name after a lip-smacking candy bar.
- Smiley – Pick this moniker to describe the gorgeous smile of your pet.
- Sweetums – The most affectionate name to address a pet.
- Ozzy – A name with an English origin that means “divine power.”
- Mushu – Translates into “very pleasing” in the Indian origin.
- Nova – A Latin name that means “new,” for your newly-bought leopard gecko.
- Dotty – A Greek name with the meaning, “gift of God.” Also details out the dots on your pet’s body.
- Puffy – Choose this name to describe your pet’s “soft” personality.
- Rainbow – Because your gecko adds colors to your life!
- Iggy – A Latin name for your fiery pet.
- Sprinkles – An American name that translates into “beautiful.”
- Pebbles – A feel-good name that’s synonymous with a pebble in an ocean. Positive, relaxing, and happy!
- Cupcake – Named after a sweet little cake that everybody loves.
Good Leopard Gecko Names
The best gift you can give to your beloved leopard gecko is an extraordinary moniker that the entire world will know it by. Who says you need to follow Shakespeare’s theory that trivializes the importance of titles, “What’s in a name?” Your reptile deserves an amazing name that complements its disposition.
Names for a leopard gecko often range from chic ones to outright funny, based on how you want to address your pet. If you’re searching for good name options to choose from, then look no further than this list!
- Archie – A shorter version of Archibald that means “bold” or “brave.”
- Zuko – An Arabic name that translates into “Gift of God.”
- Bonita – A popular Spanish name that means “beautiful.” Indeed, an impeccable option for your pet.
- Khaleesi – Channel your Game of Thrones vibes and name your leopard gecko after Daenerys Targaryen!
- Rex – A powerful Latin name with the meaning “A mighty ruler.”
- Aiden – This name translates into “Fiery” or “bringer of fire.”
- Antonio – Derived from the Greek Origin, and means “Highly Praiseworthy.”
- Sapphire – A pretty and feminine name after a gorgeous September birthstone.
- Neo – A crisp and clear-cut name for your scaly friend.
- Blizard – Rhymes with “lizard,” is fun to call out, and extremely cute.
- Rocky – Ideal for a leopard gecko rocky skin. Or just someone who loves crawling on rocky terrains.
- Rolo – A popular pet name that is ideal for all kinds of species.
- Dexter – Carries a myriad of pop culture references, and has become a favorite name among pet parents.
- Buzz – Named after Buzz Lightyear – a Toy Story favorite!
- Leo – A literal short name for your leopard gecko.
- Kobe – This is a popular gecko name.
- Cleo – Translates into “pride.” A viable option if you don’t want to go too ancient by naming your gecko Cleopatra.
- Randal – Seeking inspiration from Monsters Inc.’s fictional lizard character.
- Razor – A classy option if you want a name with greater oomph.
- Pooie – A cute original name for a brand new family pet.
- Scarlet – An ideal name for a vivacious, female leopard gecko.
- Sunny – Because there’s nothing more your reptile will cherish than basking under the blazing sun!
- Jax – A short and versatile pet name.
- Max – Another single syllabled name, which often proves to be a great choice.
- Beans – A sought-after name for a small-sized pet.
Cool Leopard Gecko Names
Focusing on the minute idiosyncrasies that set your pet leopard gecko apart from others is a great way to pick the ideal name. When looking for cool names, you can also dive beyond the constraints of traditional pet titles and derive new ones that echo a dash of debonair!
Below, we have listed some of the coolest leopard gecko names to inspire you:
- Thanos – Add a villainy element by naming your pet after this popular fictional supervillain.
- Draco – Name your gecko after Harry Potter’s popular character, Draco Malfoy.
Funny Leopard Gecko Names
Since geckos are fairly more exotic than other kinds of lizards, the last thing you want for your pet is a name that gets too mundane. Also, if you’re gifted with a good sense of humor or your scaly pal makes chuckle, then perhaps choosing a funny name is an ideal fit.
Therefore, we’re rounding up a list of some witty, playful, and laugh-worthy names for your consideration. Whether you have picked a name from an inside joke, a silly-sounding title, or a cartoon character inspiration, the following names are sure to get you smiling.
- The Lizard of Oz
- Squirt – No, geckos don’t squirt in real life, if that’s what you’re wondering.
- Twinkle Toes
- Chet Gecko
- Leopardo Di Caprio
Female Leopard Gecko Names
Does your leopard gecko give you an impression of a queen? If your little pet is a girl, it’s best that you give her a powerful name that suits her powerful character. From leopard characters to sassy original names, have a look at our collection of female gecko names that will embody both her femininity and saurian attributes, highlighting her inner queen.
Male Leopard Gecko Names
One foolproof way to find a suitable name for your pet is to use human names. So, we have assembled some of the classiest and commonly encountered titles for male leos. Have a look:
- Barney – The main character, the Tyrannosaurus from Barney & Friends.
- Gus – An adorable name if you’re an Augustus Waters’ fan from The Fault in our Stars.
Badass Leopard Gecko Names
If your leopard gecko exhibits a fierce and robust personality, a badass name would be the ideal match. These options are also fabulous if you think traditional male and female titles won’t suit your pet.
Pro tip: The best badass monikers will carry plosive consonants. So, when searching for a sassy gecko name, always go for the one that packs a punch, and sounds savage when called out loud.
So, look no further than our list if you’re searching for a classy gecko name unique to its traits.
- Brutus – For all the literati’s out there, “Et Tu, Brute?”
- Lucifer – This devilish name also means “Morning Star.”
Fancy Leopard Gecko Names
Looking for a cosmopolitan, well-sounding name for your gecko? If your pet is the most adorable reptile on the block, consider glancing through the fanciest leopard gecko names on our list:
- Caviar – When we think fancy, we think Caviar!
Leopard geckos are one of the most popularized lizard species when we talk about exotic and low maintenance pets. They’re usually quite compliant and have a great time crawling through their owner’s hands once they build a mutual affinity with you.
Choosing the best leopard gecko name might be confusing, but who says it has to be difficult? Remember, before settling on a name, take factors such as personality, gender, appearance, and personal preference.
We hope our list of over 200 cute and whimsical names has helped you make the right choice, or even given you a kickstart to pick your favorite moniker. Ultimately, it’s all about finding a name your gecko loves as much as you do!