We’ve all heard the famous nursery rhyme, “And everywhere that Mary went, her lamb was sure to go…”
Sheep are undoubtedly one of the most wonderful and gentle animals that can also make great pets. One of their most exciting qualities is that they respond highly to any human interaction. They love to play around and can live in harmony alongside other house pets such as cats and dogs. This is why it’s such a popular pet amongst people who own a farm or a big enough yard.
Most people adopt them when they are just little bottle-fed lambs as it’s much easier to house-train a young lamb in comparison to an adult sheep. You will also not need a lot of space to keep your sheep happy. A single acre of land can easily house about a dozen sheep. Sheep are social animals and thrive in groups, so it’s always better to get a flock.
Here are the most common sheep breeds that are kept as pets.
- Fleece Sheep are for the wool lovers. These sheep need to be sheared at least once to twice every year. So, you’ll have to hire professional shearers for this which could be expensive but worthwhile if you plan to sell the wool. Common fleece breeds include Delaine-Merino and Rambouillet.
- Hair Sheep are mainly raised for meat or as pets. They are low maintenance as they don’t grow wool. Common hair-bearing breeds are St. Croix and Dorper.
- Miniature Sheep are the popular pet sheep that also produce good quality meat and wool. While other breeds of sheep weigh up to 250 to 300 pounds, miniature sheep typically weigh between 130 to 300 pounds. Babydoll, Cheviot and Southdown are some of the famous miniature sheep breeds.
If you’ve got yourself pet sheep, you must be wondering about what to call them and since sheep are best adopted as flocks, the naming task may seem even more daunting if you have to decide the best names for a couple of them.
However, you don’t have to worry as we’ve compiled a whole collection of the funniest and cutest sheep names for you. Whether you’re looking for male sheep names or female ones, you will find all the options here. So, let’s get started.
Funny Sheep Names
Are you looking for some fun names to call your sheep? Here are some great options.
Baaa-rbra – the BAA-ING sound that sheep make cab serve as a great starting point for some funny sheep names. Other options include Baaachus, Baaarnabas, Baaalthazar.
Baaarack – This could be a fun way to pay tribute to the Great American president.
Woolicious – This one is for the fleece breeds.
Wooliam – That’s a funny take on the name, William.
Fleece Machine – Another silly name for your fluffy friend.
Wool ball/ Fluff ball – Don’t they look like balls of wool from a distance?
Lamborghini – This famous Italian brand of luxury sports cars can make for a punny name for your young and energetic lamb.
Sheep-faced – Another punny one for you.
Bo Peep – Even though Bo Peep could not find her sheep in the movie Toy Story, this name will be forever attached to sheep.
Shear-ly – For those who require regular shearing!
More Funny Sheep Names
- Cotton Ball
- Mr. Fuzzyface
- Holy Sheep
- Pirate Sheep
- Wooly Bully
- Mike Donnelly
- Cool Whip
- The Baa Baa Bandit
Famous Sheep Names
Here’s a list of five of the most extraordinary sheep who ever lived.
- Dolly – Dolly became the most famous sheep in history when her birth was announced in 1997. She was the world’s first-ever mammal to be cloned. She was a genetically cloned offspring of three different mothers.
- Methuselina – She was the world’s oldest sheep that lived for 25 years, nearly twice the normal life expectancy of a sheep.
- Shrek – Shrek was a male Merino from New Zealand that was an escapee for about 6 long years in an attempt to run away from getting shorn. It hid in caves and avoided getting captured till he was finally caught in 2004. His fleece weighed a staggering 27 kilograms at the time of capture! If your sheep is giving you a tough time lately, this is the perfect name for them.
- Famo Montauciel – You can name your pet sheep Montauciel to pay homage to the sheep that boarded the first ever hot air balloon. The name means ‘climb-to-the-sky’. The sheep flew alongside rooster and a duck. Even though they were slightly confused, all three animals landed safely.
- Lance Corporal Derby – This Swaledale ram became the highest ranking sheep in the history of the British Army for his good behavior.
Good Sheep Names
Looking for more ideas for naming your sheep? You can choose from this list.
Curly – Does your sheep love to show off their curly hair or fleece? If yes then this is the perfect name for them.
Fluffers – A great option for those covered in layers of fleece.
Cream Puff – Because that’s what your fluffy babies look like, don’t they?
Mocha – Does your sheep have a beautiful brown tan? This name will go well with them then. Other options include brownie, toffee, bronzers, etc. For the ones with darker coats, you can go for names like smokey or stormy.
Here are some more interesting ideas for pet sheep names.
- Fluff Fluff
- Vanilla bean
Cute Sheep Names
Looking for some more adorable names for your fluffy babies? Have a look at this list.
- Mr. Fuzzy Face
Girl Sheep Names
Here are some more options for your female pet sheep.
- Sweet Pea
- Snow White
Boy Sheep Names
You can pick any of these for your boy sheep.
Celebrity Sheep Names
You can put your fluffy friends in the spotlight by naming them after famous celebrities. Here are some great options for your showstopper pet sheep.
Meryl Sheep – Known for her extraordinary craft, Meryl Streep, is undoubtedly one of the greatest stars. This is a punny take on her name that will perfectly suit your best female sheep.
Brad and Angie – Inspired by the names of one of the most loved couples of all times – Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie – for a pair of male and female sheep.
Derek the Sheep – Famous fictional character from the British sitcom, The Beano.
Pet Sheep Names
Have a look at this list for some more ideas.
Shaun the Sheep Names
‘Shaun the Sheep’ is a famous animated comedy movie based on a sheep and his flock going on an adventure. There are several characters in the movie and you shouldn’t miss considering their names for your pet sheep.
Shaun – The leader of the flock
Shirley – Shirley is described as a character that loves eating and is so big she needs other sheep to sling-shot or push and pull her out of trouble
Timmy – He is the baby of the flock and is Shaun’s cousin
Hazel – She’s a timid little sheep who gets nervous at the slightest thing
Nuts – He is the charming one in the flock and has an eccentric way of looking at the world.
Minecraft Sheep Names
Are you a Minecraft enthusiast? Well, then we have come up with a list of pet sheep names inspired by this popular video game.
Final Words: 164 Cute and Funny Sheep Names
Now that you have plenty of options to choose from, we’re sure you will be able to find the perfect name for your pet sheep. We would love to know which ones you pick and why in the comments section below.